Read part 1 HERE
- Psychology and the psychologist should look at the positive side of the human beings.
- There must be more to living than just being battered by a hostile environment or by depraved instincts (which may actually be leading to self-destruction).
- People’s needs are not low level and base. We have positive needs that may become neutral in the worst cases, but will not turn negative or base.
- Human behavior does respond to needs but we will be wrong in saying that all our needs are only physiological in nature.
- Needs motivate human action; such needs are very few in number.
- Basically a stage theory.
- The needs at one level have to be met in order for one to move on a higher order.
- The needs at the lowest/primary/base level are the physiological needs, whereas the highest order needs are the self-actualization needs.
Self-actualization: most advanced human need based on the desire to grow and utilize one’s potential up to the optimal level.
- Meta needs: based on desire to grow rather than for meeting a deficiency: expressed in the need for self actualization.
- Deficiency needs: the absence of the underlying requirements triggers these needs (physiological needs, love needs or esteem needs)
Physiological needs: fulfilled through = hunger/food → Pathology associated = overeating, anorexia.
Safety needs: fulfilled through = profession, job → Pathology associated = phobias.
Love and belongings: fulfilled through = marriage, friendship → Pathology associated = antisocial personality.
Esteem needs: fulfilled through = awards, honors, scholarship → Pathology associated = depression.
Self-actualization needs: fulfilled through = painting, writing, singing → Pathology associated = isolation, alienation, cynicism.
Read part 1 HERE
Don’t forget to Like, Comment, Follow, Share and Subscribe to Soul Relief Session for your daily keys to help you reunite with your soul. If you have any questions about this topic let a comment bellow and I will help with the best answer I can give. Also if you think you need help, please check my Soul Relief Session page for a 1-on-1 session | Stay in touch with me on Tumblr | Twitter | Facebook and Instagram | For collaborations, sponsorships or business inquiries e-mail at email@example.com